Oatey® No. 5 Paste Flux is a petrolatum-based flux designed to provide superior wetting properties for better solder flow. It can be used with most soft solders. 100% lead-free. Safe for use on potable water applications. Oatey products have earned the trust of plumbing professional for over 100 years. Made in the USA.
- Effective on all metals except aluminum and stainless steel
- Compatible with all common plumbing solder alloys
- Will not turn copper piping green
- Good for large diameter copper piping
- 100% lead-free paste flux cleans and fluxes copper piping to provide uniform solder flow
- Petroleum base provides cleaning effectiveness
- NSF standard 14 (performance) and standard 61 (health effects) certified
- Material is safe for use in potable water applications
- Includes brush for easy flux application
The #95 paste flux contains a silver solder tinning powder which helps fill in the joint when heat is applied, #5 does not.
What type of solder and flux are recommended to solder stainless steel?
None. Oatey does not manufacture a solder or flux for this application.
What is the difference between water soluble and non-soluble (petroleum base) flux?
The water soluble flux is less corrosive, and self-cleans on the interior of the pipe as water flows through the lines. The water soluble flux has a narrower temperature range when heating, but it works with all the solders.