Hercules® Megatape is an all-purpose, professional-grade PTFE thread-sealing tape designed for use on a wide range of threaded pipes. At 3.5 Mil thick, it provides more PTFE than most tapes to seals better with fewer wraps. Megatape is compatible with virtually any piping system to provide exceptional versatility.
- Requires fewer wraps and resists tearing/ripping
- Improved aesthetics versus white, yellow, blue or orange tapes when used with chrome or stainless steel
- cUL-listed to take on strenuous applications
- Chemically inert
- No tape contains more PTFE than MEGATAPE
- Seals threads on virtually any piping system, including stainless steel pipe, cast iron, PVC, CPVC and ABS pipe, brass and chrome fittings, and gas connections
- High density - 3.5 mils thick
- Available in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" widths
|Product Type:||General Purpose|
Available in 4 Variations
Showing 4 of 4
There are no results available
There are no limitations on the diameter of the pipe. You should always wrap the tape enough times around the male threads in order to fill the spigot (female threads). Any pipe sizes over 1¼” with pressure and fluids moving through it should have the male threads wrapped with tape and then the approved pipe joint compound spread over the tape.
How do I apply pipe thread tape, and are all the tapes applied the same way?
All ½”, ¾” and 1” wide tapes are installed the same way. After you select the proper size of tape for your thread, you will wrap in a clockwise motion, while keeping the tape at the bottom of the thread. For ½”, ¾” and 1” pipe threads you will only need to wrap the threads in a straight pattern 3 to 5 times around the male thread, if the tape width is the same size as pipe diameter. For 1¼” pipe threads and above or when tape width is smaller than pipe size, you will wrap 4 to 5 times starting at the end of threads and working up.
Is Oatey White General Purpose thread seal tape safe to use on natural gas lines?
Yes. All Oatey thread sealant tapes will work on natural gas lines. Oatey does however recommend the use of yellow gas line thread tape with PTFE on all natural gas line installations, product #31403. The Oatey yellow gas line thread tape is approved by code for this application and the yellow color is a visual identifier that the correct tape was used in the application.